I am often asked what tips I have for taking the Certified Payroll Professional Exam. This is what I tell people:
Preparing for the Exam
- Allow several months to study. Even if you’ve got many years of on the job experience you need to study for this exam. It will no doubt contain topics that you don’t deal with on a daily basis, or possibly at all, depending on the industry for which you process payroll.
- Keep doing practice tests, from my book, The Practical CPP Study Guide, and wherever else you can find them.
- When you do practice tests time yourself so you get used to working under a time limit.
- Get a good night’s sleep the night before.
- Be sure you know how to get to the exam center and how long it’ll take to get there at the time of day you need to go.
- Plan to be there early so you aren’t rushed.
Taking the Exam